DevOps Engineer, Cloud
Fearless, fun, tenacious, cloud-native, passionate, honest, transparent, creative – these are some of the values that have fueled our culture since 2010. They have driven our company to become one of the most recognized managed service providers in the public cloud space. As we look toward our ambitious goals, we seek to expand our software development team with professionals who share our values. That is where you come in.
You are a systematic thinker. You find yourself uncomfortable when things are messy or unorganized and you feel the urge to fix them. You take pride in your work and focus on the details that others often overlook. You love working closely with peers in an environment that tirelessly strives for improvement and doing the right things, the right way. You always seek to find the quickest, safest, and most repeatable processes to perform your tasks including automating everything possible. You recognize that you may not presently know everything that you need to know, yet you are confident in your abilities to learn the skills needed to fulfill any job role and are eager for the challenge. You want to gain deep, firsthand knowledge of the public cloud space including Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. You want to join a team working to deliver a legendary customer experience.
About the amazing things that you will do
You will join a thriving DevOps culture as an operations engineer embedded on the software development team. You will spearhead operations management of developed solutions including log management, monitoring/alerting, infrastructure provisioning, system patching, configuration management, and support. As part of the product development team, you will actively participate in agile development practices working closely with engineers to maintain and enhance infrastructure management and CI/CD processes to optimize for quality, reliability, and availability. You will ensure that security, performance, and disaster preparedness are always represented in team decisions. You will gain and expand on your experience managing cloud native microservices utilizing Docker clustering technologies (ECS, Kubernetes, …).
• Working close with the developers
o Match infrastructure implementation / monitoring / management with software architecture
o Influence software architecture to simplify / streamline operational management
• Manage All Environments
o Monitor running instances – ensure costs are managed and optimized against performance
o Configuration changes / documentation / automation of changes
o Monitor / manage logs
o Patch management
o Security and key management
• Establish and monitor operational dashboards and work queues
o Monitor infrastructure / application performance & health
• Shared software release duties
o Developing and monitoring infrastructure automation for deployment
o Code coverage metrics
o Monitor build / deployment status
• Be passionate about being challenged and hungry to continuously learn
• Mid-level to Senior on typical operations front (operating system patching, systematic troubleshooting, eye for operational details, …)
• Must have experience and be extremely comfortable with Unix/Linux server environments
• Comfortable with command line tools (Bash, Powershell, …)
• Working understanding of code and script development (ex: Python, …)
• Familiar with agile software development lifecycles
• Knowledge of best practices and IT operations for always-up, always-available services
Major experience bonus point:
• Docker / container cluster management (AWS ECS, Kubernetes, Vagrant, OpenShift, Apache Mesos, Deis, Mesophere DCOS, …)
• Docker / Microservice release orchestration including Blue Green Deployments and Canary Releases
• Managing infrastructure on Amazon AWS
• Managing infrastructure on Microsoft Azure
• Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery software release management and automation
• Infrastructure as Code – i.e., Terraform and Cloud Formation
Minor experience bonus point:
• MS SQL and/or MySQL administration / optimization
• NoSQL and caching tools such as MemCache / Redis
• GIT / Source Control tools (i.e., GitHub, Bit Bucket, TFS, …)
• Automation / configuration management using either Puppet, Chef or equivalent
About the perks
You will be valued as an employee. You will not just be a number but a contributing part of our team. Your work/life balance is important to us. Unlimited time off, 100% of your benefits premiums paid for you and 90% for your family, a 401K platform to plan for retirement, company events, community volunteer opportunities, a running team, a fully stocked kitchen & catered in lunches on Friday’s, and much more are waiting for you here at 2nd Watch.
How can you pass up this opportunity? Doesn’t this all sound great to you? Then go ahead and apply and we will contact you for a confidential discussion soon.
About 2nd Watch
2nd Watch is an enterprise workload management provider that helps companies accelerate data center capacity growth through adoption of the public cloud. The company’s public cloud-native services and tools implement and automate critical workload management processes including migration, procurement, provisioning, operations, financial management, and governance. 2nd Watch has helped hundreds of customers increase agility and lower operation costs by shifting workloads into more than 75,000 instances in the public cloud. The venture-backed company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.